Giuseppe Serra is an assistant professor at the University of Udine (Italy). He graduated in Computer Engineering with honors from the University of Florence in 2006. He was awarded the title of Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Engineering, Multimedia and Telecommunications in 2010 from The MICC Center. He was a visiting scholar at Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, and at Telecom ParisTech/ENST, Paris, in 2006 and 2010 respectively. His research interests include egocentric vision, image and video analysis, multimedia ontologies and multiple view geometry. He has published more than 40 publications in scientific journals and international conferences. He has been awarded the best paper award by the ACM&SIGMM Workshop on Social Media in 2010. He is a co-organizer of the “International Workshop on Multimedia for Cultural Heritage” in 2013. He also serves as a Guest Editor of the Special Issue on “Multimedia for Cultural Heritage” in the Multimedia Tools and Applications Journal. He was a Technical Program Committee member of several workshops and conferences. He regularly serves as reviewer for international journals and conference, including ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications, and Applications, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, and Pattern Recognition.
Current Position: Assistant professor at the University of Modena and Reggio Emilia - Italy
- Doctorate, January 2007 - December 2009. Università degli Studi di Firenze, Italy - Thesis title: “Semantic annotation and retrieval of video content using ontologies”, supervisors Prof. A. Del Bimbo.
- Computer Engineering Degree (5 years degree), September 2006, 110/110 cum laude. Università degli Studi di Firenze, Italy - Thesis title: “Accurate self-calibration of two cameras by observations of a moving person on a ground plane”, supervisors Prof. A. Del Bimbo and Prof. P. Pala
- College Degree, July 1999, 99/100. I.T.C. Vittorio Fossombroni, Grosseto (GR), Italy.
- Postdoctoral researcher, Signal and Image Processing department, Telecom ParisTech, Paris, France, working with Dr. Hichem Sahbi, April-July 2010.
- Master Degree´s researcher, Advance Multimedia Processing, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, U.S.A. working with Prof. Tsuhan Chen September 2005 - April 2006
Research Interests Multimedia Information Retrieval, Image and Video Understanding, Computer Vision, Pattern Recognition, Machine Learning, Multimedia ontologies, Geometry reconstruction.
Services to the scientific community (Co-)Organizer:
- ICIAP 2nd International Workshop on Multimedia for Cultural Heritage
- ICME first International Workshop on Wearable and Ego-vision Systems for Augmented Experience (WEsAX)
Technical Program Committee member:
- IEEE Int’l Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME), 29/6/2015-3/7/2015, Torino, Italy
- International Workshop on Content-Based Multimedia Indexing (CBMI), 10-12/6/2015, Prague, Czech Republic
- Int'l Conference on Advances in Computers, Communication, and Electronic Engineering (COMMUNE), 16-18/03/2015, Srinagar, India
- IEEE International Conference on Industrial Instrumentation and Control, 28-30 May, 2015, Maharashtra, India
- The ChaLearn Looking at People Workshop, 12/06/2015, in conjunction with CVPR 2015, Boston, USA.
- IEEE Int’l Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME), 14-18/7/2014, Chengdu, China
- International Conference on Digital Image Computing: Techniques and Applications (DICTA 2014), November 25-27, 2014, Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia
- ChaLearn Looking at People: pose recovery, action/interaction, gesture recognition, September 6-7, 2014, in conjunction with ECCV 2014, Zurich, Switzerland.
- IEEE Workshop on Web-scale Vision and Social Media (VSM), June 28, 2014, Columbus, OH, USA
- International Conference on Informatics, Electronics & Vision (ICIEV), May 23-24, 2014, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- International Conference on Similarity Search and Applications (SISAP), October 2-4, 2013, A Corugna, Spain
- ACM International Workshop on Interactive Multimedia on Mobile and Portable Devices, (IMMPD2013), in conjunction with the ACM Multimedia, October 22, 2013, Barcelona, Spain
- International Conference on Current Trends in Theory and Practice of Computer Science, January 26–31, 2013, Špindlerův Mlýn, Czech Republic.
- Italian Research Conference on Digital Libraries (IRCDL), February 9-10, 2012, Bari, Italy.
- IEEE Workshop on Web-scale Vision and Social Media, October 7, 2012, Florencee, taly
- IEEE Workshop on Analysis and Retrieval of Tracked Events and Motion in Imagery Streams (ARTEMIS), October 13, 2012, Firenze, Italy
- IEEE Workshop on Analysis and Retrieval of Tracked Events and Motion in Imagery Streams (ARTEMIS), November 2, 2011, Barcelona - Spain
- ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications, and Applications
- IEEE Transactions on Multimedia
- IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security
- Computer Vision and Image Understanding
- Pattern Recognition
- International Journal of Multimedia Information Retrieval
- Eurasip Journal on Image and Video Processing
- Multimedia Tools and Applications
- Journal of Visual Languages and Computing
- Pattern Analysis and Applications
Conferences and Workshop Reviewing ACM Multimedia, ECCV, IEEE ICIP, IEEE ICME, ACM ICMR, ACM MIR, ICIAP, ICPR, IEEE WIAMIS, IEEE CBMI, IEEE WIFS Professional Memberships GIRPR: Italian Association for Pattern Recognition Participation to European/Italian Research Projects
- Region part-funded reseach project: “Modellazione Matematica di sistemi Geotermici per la definizione di strumenti di decisione da utilizzarsi nelle procedure di controllo di concessioni Geotermiche" (MAC-GEO, 2009-2010).
- MIUR (Ministry of Education, University and Research) FIRB: “Archivio Informatizzato delle Testimonianze di Cultura Artistica e Letteraria in fondi manoscritti tra ottocento e novecento: da Cavalcaselle a Brandi" (MIUR Firb, 2009-2010).
- EU IST SME: "Immersive Multimedia Interfaces" - IM3I (EU IST FP7-222267, 2008-2010).
- MIUR (Ministry of Education, University and Research) PRIN: “FREE Surveillance in a pRivacy-respectFul way" (MIUR PRIN FreeSurf, 2007-2010).
- EU IST: “Interactive Semantic Video Search With A Large Thesaurus Of Machine-Learned Audio-Visual Concepts” (EU IST FP6-045547 VidiVideo, 2007-2010).
Participation to Academic/Industry Projects - “Advanced video surveillance tools”, University of Florence/Thales (2008-2009)
Professional Experience - Teaching Assistant, January 2004 – July 2005. Master in Multimedia and Content Design, University of Florence
- 2010/11:Lecturer for the course “Lab. Disegno Industriale III” (MultiMedia and Web Design lab.) at School of Industrial Design, Faculty of Architecture, University of Florence.
- 2007/11: Teaching assistant for the course on “Multimedia Databases” (N950INS-“Database Multimediali”, C.d.L. in Ing. Informatica, Specialistica), Prof. Del Bimbo, at Computer Engineering Faculty, University of Florence.